If you are a resident of Huntsville and are contemplating divorce, your first step should be to consult an experienced lawyer. Because there are so many aspects to a divorce, hiring a lawyer ensures you don’t make impulsive decisions. There are also alternatives to divorce in Alabama, such as legal separation, which could benefit some couples. Even if you agree with your spouse on crucial matters, hiring a Huntsville divorce lawyer is still wise. In this post, we have enlisted the top tips for finding the right attorney.
- Don’t hire the first lawyer you find. Ask around, talk to people you know, and do some homework before you engage a divorce lawyer. There are also many websites that offer considerable information on local law firms, and you can also find ready listings.
- Consider the experience of the lawyer. Not all lawyers in Alabama have experience handling contested divorces, and few can claim they have been to trial. Make sure you consider the profile of the law firm or the chosen attorney before hiring them.
- Discuss the case. The first meeting with a divorce lawyer doesn’t have to be expensive, and most lawyers will charge a flat fee or a low hourly rate. Meet the lawyer in person to understand what they think of your case.
- Don’t underestimate the comfort factor. During the course of the divorce, you will have to bring up personal and financial details, and many things concerning the marriage can be hurtful to talk about. Ensure that you work with a lawyer you feel comfortable with, which is also why the first meeting matters.
- Look for solid client reviews. Check Google and other websites to find what other people are saying about a divorce lawyer or a law firm. If a lawyer has too many negative reviews, that is clearly a red flag.
- Consider your budget. If yours is a no-fault and uncontested divorce, you don’t have to worry about a hefty fee. However, for most complicated cases, lawyers will charge an hourly rate. Make sure to ask for a ballpark and consider your budget before you engage them for the job.
- Ask the lawyer about their workload. You would want the divorce attorney to be available as and when needed. If an attorney is too busy, you may want to check other options.